A municipality born from the merger of Montescudo with Monte Colombo in 2016, it is a magnificent terrace on the foothills of Valconca. On its fertile lands the Conca and Marano flow, thanks to which Etruscan, Celtic and Roman settlements developed making Montescudo a staging post in the Augustan era.
The Malatesta family–present here since 1271–attributed a fundamental function to these places for their defense system and built a robust fortress “a scudo”, (to shield) the city of Rimini (hence its name) which still retains its typical medieval planimetry. Over the following centuries, Montescudo in particular belonged to the Republic of Venice, the Papal State and to Napoleon, as recalled by the plaque at the entrance to the Municipal Theatre and the colours of the French flag on the coat of arms.
The heart of the historic centre of Montescudo is the Piazza del Comune with a central well, a garden on the bastion from which a very wide view of the coast can be enjoyed and a cylindrical icehouse and the top of the Watchtower, joined to the fortress by underground tunnels. In Monte Colombo instead, the eighteenth-century washhouse is not to be missed, a rarity in terms of manufacture and type so-called “a trabocchi” due to its tanks at decreasing heights.
Not far away is the Albereto wood, one of the most unspoilt wooded areas in the Rimini hinterland. It can be entirely crossed on foot, in a truly suggestive environment surrounded by nature, among rare plants and small animals. Interesting places in Montescudo are also the Ethnographic Museum in Valliano and the Gothic Line Museum in the village of Trarivi.
The surroundings of Monte Colombo are instead characterised by the gentle countryside, dotted with large vineyards and olive groves from which excellent grapes and precious oils are produced.