A municipality born in 2014 from a merger between the municipalities of Poggio Berni and Torriana. It is characterised by fertile countryside and gentle hills scattered with prominent hsitoric buildings and mills, which recall its residential and holiday vocation on the one hand, and on the other factories for the community.
Inhabited since ancient times, this territory belonged to the Malatesta family, whose presence is testified by Palazzo Marcosanti, the ancient tomb of Poggio Berni. It is one of the best preserved fortresses of the Seignory.
In the historic centre, born from an idea of the poet Tonino Guerra, there is a fountain, in the shape of an ammonite–a millenary snail linked to the world’s early years–recalling one of the many fossil finds in the area.
From a geological point of view, in fact, it also offers interesting fossil deposits along the Marecchia river, where the “Parco della Cava” was created to witness the discovery of thousands of finds, mainly marine vertebrates which populated the sea that used to cover these lands in the Pliocene.
This municipality includes the small jewel of Montebello, well-worth visiting with the Rocca dei Guidi di Bagno. Here, mysterious tunnels, dark passages, incredibly deep wells and strange incidents have fuelled the legend of Azzurrina’s ghost, the five-year-old daughter of the feudal lord, who disappeared in the basement of the Castle of Montebello in 1375 and seems to be re-appearing every summer upon solstice.