Leaning against Mount Pincio, its protector, from the side of the Marecchia river it faces the cliffs on which the fortresses of San Leo and Maioletto soar, dominating the valley.
In 1296, an extremely rare event for these lands happened, characterised by the clash between the Malatesta and the Montefeltro: Ghibelline Maghinardo Pagani led both citizens from Rimini and Montefeltro into battle together against the papal army, managing to conquer Talamello.
In 1490 production of gunpowder began in various Talamellese mills, which continued until the twentieth century, as is evidenced by two octagonal-shaped deposits, dating back to the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, located in Campiano.
The historic centre invites you to stroll for the discretion it offers to visitors and for its “pearls“, such as the large fountain that embellishes the square, the cemetery Cell which contains authentic 15th-century treasures and the splendid Crucifix by the Scuola Riminese del Trecento (14th-century Rimini School). Also not to be missed is the former Amintore Galli Theatre: named after the father of the Workers’ Anthem who was born here in 1845–a building that now houses the Gualtieri Museum-Art Gallery.
In Talamello, important initiatives are held for the enhancement of typical products, such as the “Fiera delle Castagne della Valmarecchia” (“The Valmarecchia Chestnut Fair”) or the “Fiera del Formaggio di fossa” (“Pit cheese Fair”), dedicated to the symbol of this place, which poet Tonino Guerra named “Amber from Talamello” due to its particular colour.
Today Talamello is listed among Emilia-Romagna’s Città d’Arte (Art cities).